How Do I Know If My Home is Sick?
Are You Breathing Healthy Air?
For most Americans, 90% of their time is spent indoors. The air we breathe is essential to our health, especially for those struggling with asthma, COPD, allergies, respiratory problems, infants, and the elderly. At SRI Energy, we understand the importance of healthy air and offer indoor air quality testing to give you peace of mind.
Some Symptoms of a “Sick House”
Here are some tell-tale signs that you may have indoor air quality concerns that need to be addressed:
- Dust: Dusty homes can be caused by multiple factors, but a BPI analyst and/or indoor environmentalist can usually determine by a simple walk-through of your home.
- Headaches or nausea: If you notice that you have headaches or nausea when you are home, but not as much when you have spent a day outdoors or at another location.
- Musty or moldy smell: If the home has moisture problems or has been sealed up too tightly, then the home cannot properly “breathe” to dispel the build-up of cleaning chemicals, exhaust, allergens, etc.
- Allergies, scratchy throat, or nasal irritation: These symptoms or your allergies are worse when you are home than at other times.
- Burning or watery eyes: You have problems with your eyes burning when you are home, but not so much elsewhere.
- Humid: If your home is too humid, then it’s a good sign you have an issue that needs to be addressed.
What Should I do if I Suspect My House May Be Sick?
If your Tulsa home has symptoms of being unhealthy, then follow these simple steps for peace of mind. Most issues that cause poor indoor air quality can be easily addressed, and the solutions are affordable.
- Call the office for an appointment.
- Review your concerns with our knowledgeable staff.
- Have a walk-through with one of our indoor environmentalists – you will learn a lot.
- Let them help you decide if additional testing is beneficial.
Some Sources of Indoor Pollutants Are Hard to See
Sometimes we don’t even think about the sources of home contaminants. One of those can be a leaky duct system, where over time the ducts have become loose and attic air is being pulled into the home contaminated by the dirt, animal feces, and dust common in many attics.
A trained professional can determine if this might be a source of contamination in your home!
At SRI Energy, we offer a range of services to help improve the air quality in your Tulsa home:
- Home Energy Assessments
- Infrared Inspections
- Insulation – Foam and Blown
- Energy Star Windows
- Air Infiltration Testing & Sealing
- Duct Leakage Testing & Sealing
- Indoor Air Quality Testing
We’re an Indoor Air Quality Association member, GoldStar, and a BBB Accredited Energy Management & Conservation Consultant in Tulsa, OK.